By Antony Augoustakis,Ariana Traill
• The first entire choice of essays on Terence in English, by means of top students within the field
• Covers various subject matters, together with either conventional and smooth matters of gender, race, and reception
• Features a wide-ranging yet interconnected sequence of essays that provide new views in analyzing Terence
• Includes an creation discussing the lifetime of Terence, its effect on next experiences of the poet, and the query of his ethnicity
Read Online or Download A Companion to Terence (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
What pleasures did Plautus' heroic tricksters offer their unique viewers? How may still we comprehend the compelling mixture of uprising and social conservatism that Plautus bargains? via a detailed examining of 4 performs representing the whole diversity of his paintings (Menaechmi, Casina, Persa, and Captivi), Kathleen McCarthy develops an leading edge version of Plautine comedy and its social results.
This publication is a part of a 3-volume anthology of women's writing in Latin from antiquity to the early smooth period. each one quantity presents texts, contexts, and translations of a large choice of works produced through ladies, together with dramatic, poetic, and devotional writing. quantity One covers the age of Roman Antiquity and early Christianity.
The Russian reception of the best Roman poet, Vergil, supplied Russian thinkers with a fashion within which to outline Russian-European positive aspects. This quantity seems to discover the character of Russian reception of Vergil, and argues that find out how to examine his presence in Russian letters is to view it within the context of the formation and improvement of Russian nationwide and literary identification.
The 1st finished learn at the position of Italian type and Italian literature, this ebook analyzes garments and model as defined and represented in literary texts and dress books within the Italy of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Writing type in Early glossy Italy emphasizes the centrality of Italian literature and tradition for figuring out sleek theories of favor and gauging its influence within the shaping of codes of civility and style in Europe and the West.
- Crusading and Chronicle Writing on the Medieval Baltic Frontier: A Companion to the Chronicle of Henry of Livonia
- Clio's Other Sons: Berossus and Manetho
- Handbook of Medieval Studies
- Latin Explorations (Routledge Revivals): Critical Studies in Roman Literature
Extra resources for A Companion to Terence (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Terence (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Antony Augoustakis,Ariana Traill