By S. J. Harrison
Read Online or Download Apuleius: A Latin Sophist PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
What pleasures did Plautus' heroic tricksters offer their unique viewers? How may still we comprehend the compelling mixture of uprising and social conservatism that Plautus bargains? via a detailed examining of 4 performs representing the total variety of his paintings (Menaechmi, Casina, Persa, and Captivi), Kathleen McCarthy develops an cutting edge version of Plautine comedy and its social results.
This booklet is a part of a 3-volume anthology of women's writing in Latin from antiquity to the early sleek period. every one quantity offers texts, contexts, and translations of a wide selection of works produced through ladies, together with dramatic, poetic, and devotional writing. quantity One covers the age of Roman Antiquity and early Christianity.
The Russian reception of the best Roman poet, Vergil, supplied Russian thinkers with a fashion during which to outline Russian-European positive aspects. This quantity seems to discover the character of Russian reception of Vergil, and argues that tips on how to examine his presence in Russian letters is to view it within the context of the formation and improvement of Russian nationwide and literary identification.
The 1st accomplished research at the position of Italian style and Italian literature, this publication analyzes garments and model as defined and represented in literary texts and dress books within the Italy of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Writing style in Early smooth Italy emphasizes the centrality of Italian literature and tradition for realizing sleek theories of style and gauging its influence within the shaping of codes of civility and style in Europe and the West.
- Rewriting Medieval Japanese Women: Politics, Personality, and Literary Production in the Life of Nun Abutsu
- Revisionen des Mythos: Hiob als Denkfigur der Kontingenzbewältigung in der deutschen Literatur (Hermaea. Neue Folge) (German Edition)
- Adamgirk`: The Adam Book of Arak`el of Siwnik`: The Adam Book of Arak'el of Siwnik'
- Minne, Aventiure und Heldenmut: Das spätmittelalterliche Bildprogramm zu Heinrichs von Neustadt "Apollonius von Tyrland" (German Edition)
- Reading the Letters of Pliny the Younger
Additional resources for Apuleius: A Latin Sophist
Apuleius: A Latin Sophist by S. J. Harrison